Animal Birth Control
Animal Birth Control (ABC) & Anti Rabies (AR) Programme
Do you love animals? Do street animals bother you? Here you see!
Bark India follows the World health Organisation (WHO) and the Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI)’s guidelines to humanely reduce the street dog population of India by implementing the ABC/AR programme. This involves identifying the street dogs that are of age and healthy enough to undergo surgery for sterilisation. They are getting vaccinated against rabies at the same time.
Why Animal Birth Control?
- Continued reduction in the amount of street dogs, making the streets safer for humans
- Lesser cases of rabies in dogs and therefore in humans as well
- Improved health of the female dogs as they are not constantly going through stressful pregnancies
- Reduced incidents of aggression and fighting between male dogs
- Less aggression shown towards humans
- Reduction in the risk of Transmissible Venereal Tumours (TVT), uterine/testicular tumours
How do we work?
Our rescue team work methodically to reduce the street dog population by working in one area at a time. Once we are satisfied that our work has been achieved successfully, we then move on to the neighbouring for further implementation.
The ABC/AR programme is not an overnight solution but the most effective, less harmful and compassionate way to minimise the number of dogs for a better human-animal co-existence. We sterilise an average of 60 animals a month with our limited resources. We can do much better with your help and support.